The Marylebone Association
229 Great Portland Street
The London Charterhouse is a historic complex of buildings in Smithfield, London, dating back to the 14th century. The Charterhouse began as (and takes its name from) a Carthusian priory, founded in 1371 and dissolved in 1537. The site was largely rebuilt after 1545 as a large courtyard house. Thus, today it "conveys a vivid impression of the type of large rambling 16th century mansion that once existed all round London". At different times it has been used as a parliamentary building, an almshouse and a school – but this is no relic preserved in aspic, it’s a fully functioning community which provides ‘a home for gentlemen pensioners’. Our guided tour will take us to the Museum and through the historic buildings, explaining their history and high-lighting items from the collection. Tour lasts approximately 1 hour.
To book please contact Rosemary Forgan firstname.lastname@example.org or 02079169353 or 0788 789 1977