Log in
  • Home
  • News & Features
  • 13 Sep 2018 1:21 PM | Anonymous

    The High Court today ruled in favour of Westminster City Council, deciding that Transport for London (TfL) attempted to carry out the installation of Cycle Super Highway (CS11) at Swiss Cottage without complying with its legal obligations to affected local authorities.

    In court, the Council argued that despite multiple requests, it had not received the necessary traffic modelling and mitigation measures it required from TfL to make an informed decision on the installation of CS11 in Westminster.

    Many residents also opposed CS11 due to the potential implications on local traffic flow and air quality, a concern raised with TfL during its consultation between February and March 2016.

    Cllr Tim Mitchell, Cabinet Member for Environment and City Management, said “Westminster City Council supports improving cycling infrastructure, but as part of the planning process all traffic and air quality impacts must be properly assessed before a decision is made to construct.

    “It’s clear from today’s outcome, TfL have not completed the due diligence that our residents deserve and the current CS11 proposals need to be assessed in more detail. TfL must consider the effects of the entire route before an informed decision can be made.

    “As a result, we’re happy with the judge’s decision and call on TfL to work collaboratively with us and other stakeholders to ensure all impacts of CS11 and similar projects are fully assessed for the benefit of everyone, including residents, before they go ahead.”

    Westminster City Council held regular meetings with TfL on CS11 since the consultation process in 2016, however as the council never received the modelling it requested, it was unable to make an informed decision on whether the scheme would be acceptable in Westminster.

    In May 2018, TfL said construction would commence at Swiss Cottage on 30 July. This announcement left the Council with no further option but to take TfL to court.

    The High Court ruled on 26 July that there was sufficient evidence for a Judicial Review of TfL’s decision to be held, and granted an injunction delaying commencement of CS11 works at Swiss Cottage until the case was heard in court.

    The full hearing of the Judicial Review was held on Thursday 6 September 2018, and judgement in the Council’s favour was handed down at the High Court this morning.


  • 13 Sep 2018 9:18 AM | Anonymous

    Would you sleep out of your comfort zone?

    WLM has been helping homeless people for 130 years and is calling for volunteers willing to sleep out for one night to raise awareness and funds for our work. On 26th October, we are looking for 50-60 people willing to brave the cold and Sleep Out so that others don’t have to.

    WLM empowers people affected by homelessness, poverty and trauma to live more fulfilling lives. Their service at Seymour Place, helps those who are sleeping rough and offers them both immediate respite care and long-term housing solutions. They provide hot breakfasts, showers, laundry, clothing store, haircuts, luggage storage, health care and mail collection as well housing advice service. Last year they helped 249 people off the streets and into safe accommodation. They rely on donations to make sure our vital work can continue as we don’t receive any government funding.

    Homelessness continues to be a growing problem. Since 2010, numbers of rough sleepers in London have increased by 170%. One of their clients, Nick, was sleeping rough since 2012 when he decided to leave his property due to domestic abuse by his wife and children and ended up on the streets. When he came to WLM Seymour Place, WLM project workers did their best to find accommodation and work for him – ‘WLM helped me to find a kitchen porter job and my project worker went with me to the interview. After my two weeks training they hired me. I currently live in the night shelter that WLM co-ordinates, where I have been able to save money for rented accommodation’.

    WLM invite you to join our annual Sleep Out on Friday 26th October and help them support homeless people off the streets, into work, accommodation and onto a better chapter in their lives. WLM's Sleep Out is an opportunity for everyone to be sponsored by their friends, family and contacts, sleeping out for just one night in the secure gardens of St James's Church Piccadilly, so that others don't have to.

    Can you help us transform more homeless people’s lives in London this year?

    You can find more information about our Sleep Out 2018 on WLM’s website www.wlm.org.uk

    Event enquiries: Grace Hunt – WLM Sleep Out coordinator

    M: grace.hunt@wlm.org.uk

    T: 020 7569 5915

    West London Mission - Central office: 19 Thayer Street, London, W1U 2QJ. T: 020 7935 6179 - F: 020 7487 3965. Charity Number 1133739 | www.wlm.org.uk


  • 13 Aug 2018 10:00 AM | Anonymous


    Westminster in partnership with TfL is planning some Quietway cycling and pedestrian improvements in Marylebone. The earlier plans have been revised and now included contra-flow cycle lanes in Clipstone Street (40m) and on Devonshire Street (22m) along with improved pedestrian crossings. You can review all the plans in detail and make comments in writing by 10th September quoting reference 7221/PJ by emailing philip.jessop@wsp.com and copy us at traffic@marylebone.org .  Download the details of the plans 
  • 10 Aug 2018 11:53 AM | Anonymous

    TfL have decided to make the following changes to bus services. 

    Route 10 will be withdrawn, but will amend Route 23 to run between Westbourne Park and Hammersmith. The amended route 23 will continue to run between Westbourne Park and Marble Arch, but will then follow the existing route 10 from Marble Arch to Hammersmith. TfL plan to implement these changes in November 2018.

    TfL intend to withdraw routes 113 and 159 between Oxford Circus and Marble Arch at all times. Route 94 between Piccadilly Circus and North Row will be withdrawn during the day. These changes will be made in line with the phased opening of the Elizabeth line or in response to wider bus network changes. Night bus services on route 94 will continue to operate to Piccadilly Circus.

    The changes to route 94 would require some minor changes to roads managed by Westminster City Council. TfL will discuss these changes with the Council shortly. The changes to route 94 would take place only once the necessary highway works have been completed.

    Routes 7, 98, 139 and 390 will all continue to operate along Oxford Street.


  • 9 Aug 2018 11:00 AM | Anonymous


    Westminster City Council is seeking views on the development of Luxborough Street play space, W1U 5BF. This site of approximately 0.069 ha (0.17 acres).

    In 2012, the Luxborough Street development site had previously been identified as the new location of the permanent Marylebone Library. The proposed scheme received planning permission in 2014. However, the council says the site is no longer required for this purpose as the library is now being relocated to Seymour Leisure Centre.

    The Council would like feedback on two potential development options for the site, as well as your opinion on what you believe is important for them to consider as part of this project.

    Option 1 - 100% residential 15-20 one, two and three bedroom flats over five floors

    Option 2 - ground floor to be designated for community use, 9-14 one, two and three bedroom flats over five floors

    Please provide feedback before Friday 7th September to WCC and don't forget to let us know your views too.

    A survey is available to complete online by using the link or the full name:

    www.westminster.gov.uk/luxboroughdevelopment

    Next steps for the consultation process for the project:

    1. Engagement with residents/businesses/stakeholder groups – early October*

    During a two-week period in October, we plan to host two exhibition events on, or close to, the site to present high-level proposals of the development. The outcome of the feedback will be analysed into a report, which will be used to influence the consultation stage.

    2. Consultation with residents/businesses/stakeholder groups – November*

    Formal consultation is planned to take place over three-weeks with three exhibition events. At this stage, detailed visuals of the proposals will be presented requesting feedback on the materials, colours, style and overall concept of the building and landscaping.

    A consultation analysis report will follow to inform and accompany the Planning Application submission in January 2019.*

    *These are planned dates, subject to change.


  • 8 Aug 2018 11:37 AM | Anonymous

    You can review the plans for the Portman Hotel here Major Applications

  • 7 Aug 2018 12:15 PM | Anonymous

    Westminster has one of the highest levels of EV car ownership. In order to provide sufficient charging facilities in Marylebone Westminster City Council is producing an EV Charging Strategy that will address the type of chargers to be provided along with gaining information on potential locations and other related issues.

    The City Council website currently provides the opportunities for groups and individuals to submit responses on EV charging through a survey. The survey (https://www.westminster.gov.uk/electric-vehicles) will finish on 24th August so any response would be appreciated before this date. With the current growth in EV use it is important that the infrastructure is planned for in the short term.

    Westminster are happy to receive other formal responses by the close of business on 31st August so if you care to comment to EVCharging@westminster.gov.uk it would be appreciated .


  • 6 Aug 2018 10:55 AM | Anonymous

    Council’s consultation on Westminster’s street markets has started, and they would like your feedback.  Westminster says "This consultation is an important opportunity for you to help shape the future of the city’s markets, to make certain we can keep thriving local markets at the heart of our communities and ensure they provide a fantastic offer to residents, shoppers and visitors.

    The consultation will run until 29 October 2018 and will include a range of events including on street surveys in the markets and drop in sessions at local venues to get feedback from a wide variety of local people. 

    Key questions on the consultation
     
    What does the consultation cover?
    We are genuinely interested in your views on how markets in Westminster can continue to thrive. We hope residents and traders can work together to shape the future of our markets. The consultation will cover areas including how we can:

    • keep markets at the heart of their communities, providing a fantastic offer to local residents
    • encourage more non-street food traders to open market stalls, bringing more diversity to Westminster’s markets
    • attract more tourists where this would have a positive impact on the revenue of the market traders
    • recruit the next generation of traders and boost training on topics such as customer service, display, taking card payments and creating an online presence
    • provide a wider selection of goods, regular new products and events
    • become more sustainable by increasing recycling, reducing plastic, offering in-season food, and increasing biodegradable packaging and reusable energy

    How can I take part in the market strategy consultation? 
    The feedback survey is available online and accessible via all devices, including mobile phones. There will also be surveys carried out in the market so you can even take part without leaving your stall. Furthermore the council will host drop in sessions where you can discuss ideas and give feedback. Dates and locations for the events are available at https://openforum.westminster.gov.uk/street-markets
     
    Why is the council proposing to change the fees and charges? 
    We currently subsidise the costs of our markets by £300,000 a year, which is not sustainable. Westminster has the second lowest cost market trading pitches in London – currently £10.61 Monday to Thursday, £18.16 Friday and £24.40 Saturday. This is the first change since 2006 and covers only running costs – cleansing, waste collection and administration of licences.
     
    What are the proposed changes to the daily charges?
    We have designed the four suggested options below to encourage a debate around how the increased charges can be structured, ensuring that the costs are shared fairly. We aim to continue to competitive with other London markets.
    • Option 1 – a standard fee of £22 per day across all markets
    • Option 2 – a fee of £20 per day for non-food and fresh produce traders and a fee of £25 per day for hot food traders
    • Option 3 – an area based charge: £21 per day for Church Street and Maida Hill Place, £22 per day for Strutton Ground and Tachbrook Street, £24 per day for Berwick Street and Rupert Street
    • Option 4 – a staggered increase across all markets: a fee of £16 per day Monday – Thursday and £22 Friday – Saturday in year one, then a fee of £22 per day in year two across all days.

    While we would like to hear your views on the four suggested options above, this is a consultation; a discussion. We therefore welcome other ideas and understand that traders across the city, from small enterprises and start-ups to more established businesses, face a diverse set of circumstances."

    Full details of the consultation, including a booklet which summarises the key proposals, events and the questionnaire can be found at https://openforum.westminster.gov.uk/street-markets  If you have any queries, please email marketsconsultation@westminster.gov.uk

  • 7 Jun 2018 4:37 PM | Anonymous

    Nickie Aiken has written to residents today confirming that pedestrianisation of Oxford Street is "off the table for good".  You can read a copy of the letter below:

    The Future of Oxford Street

    I am writing to update you about our plans to improve Oxford Street and the surrounding district.

    As you know, two consultations have taken place in the past twelve months and after listening carefully to what local people have told us, we can now make Westminster City Council’s position absolutely clear.

    What is very apparent is that the majority of Westminster residents who responded to the consultations did not support the proposals to pedestrianise Oxford Street. We also know that in the recent council elections, local people also essentially rejected pedestrianisation through the ballot box. Therefore, we believe there is a very strong democratic mandate that the pedestrianisation scheme that was under consideration is not what local people want. As a result, Westminster City Council has taken the pedestrianisation of Oxford Street off the table for good and we have informed the Mayor and TfL of our decision.

    However, we do think that most people, ourselves included, feel that doing nothing is also not an option. We need to make the street and surrounding roads safer for everyone to accommodate the increase in people coming into the West End via the Elizabeth Line, which opens later this year. We also need to future-proof the Oxford Street District in a rapidly changing business and retail environment. We need to make sure that the experience of visiting Oxford Street and the surrounding area is fit for the future to ensure it maintains its crown as the nation’s high street for many, many years to come. Todays news that House of Fraser will be closing their Oxford Street store only reaffirms our view that we have to help the retail industry to grow and evolve in line with changing consumer behaviour.

    In doing this, we must also ensure that residents’ quality of life is enhanced with any improvement plans, with local amenity and cleaner air the absolute priority. For example, we want to continue to work with the Mayor of London, as many of the ways air quality can be improved are within his gift, such as the reduction in buses and introducing cleaner taxis. We will also ensure that the street and surrounding district is accessible and easy to navigate for everyone.

    Moving forward, the council will now work on completely new proposals and come back to you after the summer break with some thoughts as to how we can proceed with improving the Oxford Street District. We also give you our absolute commitment that we will keep you informed at every stage and try to engage with as many people as possible throughout this process.

    Only by working together can we help to ensure that we deliver a transformation of Oxford Street and surrounding district that is as inspiring for those who live, work and visit the area now as well as for future generations.

    If you would like to be kept up to date with future Oxford Street updates could you please e- mail robincampbell@westminster.gov.uk to register your email address. If you have any questions please also direct them to Robin.

    CLLR NICKIE AIKEN Leader of the Council



  • 1 Nov 2017 12:00 PM | Anonymous

    Reopening in January 2018, the Town Hall will offer intimate ceremonies for four people to larger weddings for up to 100 guests.

    Old Marylebone Town Hall was closed in August 2013 for a major refurbishment. The building’s interiors have been transformed with the 1920s features complemented by contemporary furnishings. The Grade II listed building will resume hosting marriages, civil partnerships and baby-naming ceremonies.

    Click here to register your interest

CONTACT US


The Marylebone Association

229 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 5PN

admin@marylebone.org

www.marylebone.org

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software